Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to model the fluid flow in a pipe with obstacles in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

amrbekhit

Electrical
Mar 20, 2008
GB
Hello all,

I'm using ANSYS workbench 13 to model the fluid flow in a pipe with various obstacles in it in order to determine the forces generated on the obstacles by the fluid. However, I'm not sure how to create the geometry for this simulation. From the CFX tutorials, I can see that the geometry is generally used to model the cavity the fluid will flow in, so for a pipe, a simple solid cylinder is sufficient. However, for my model, I would need to have solids inside solids. How would I go about creating the geometry for this?

Thanks

--Amr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi amrbekhit,

To generate the domain you have described you could generate the obstructions as individual parts in their correct positions relative to each other. Then I would create a solid cylindrical part over all of the obstructions.

Then all you need to do is subtract the obstructions from the solid cylinder which would leave you with the required fluid domain.

Hope this helps,
Dave442

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back