Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to name parts that have punctuation marks in the name

Status
Not open for further replies.

MathieuTahon

Industrial
Nov 13, 2015
EU
Dear all,

I recently started using PTC Creo 2.0, and one thing that I noticed is that I cannot use punctuation marks in my filename.
I would like to know how you would name such parts.
I will give you an example an hex bolt ISO 4014 M1.6 x 0.35 x 20
In autocad it is possible to name such parts as: iso4014-m1.6x0.35x20.dwg

Thank you in advance for the quick replies

Mathieu Tahon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can only use a very limited number of special characters. No extra dots (.). Somewhere they detail it but all I ever use are dash (-) and underscore (_). The no spaces is a real PITA as well as the 31 character limit. It's been that way since the Unix days, you would think they could update their code.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Supposed to be fixed...finally...in Creo4. But don't hold your breath, Creo4 is a year away still!

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Typically this is handled via a PDM system that allows a extensive description independent of the file name. In Windchill this task falls to 'Common Name' but if there is no PDM system it can be any user defined parameter.

While it seems like a "." is a good candidate, other characters like ".." and "/" will interfere with the OS that hosts the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back