Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to obtain interlaminar shear stress value in ANSYS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggburne

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2010
AU
Hi, I'm currently modeling a 3 layers sandwich panel (2400 x 1500 mm). My task is to get the interlaminar shear stress value at the top surface and bottom surface of the core.

I'm using SHELL181 element and I assign top layer thickness to be 11 mm, core thickness to be 68 mm and bottom layer thickness to be 12 mm with integration points = 5 respectively. The top and bottom layers share same material properties except for the core which has different material properties.

I have performed nonlinear analysis onto the model but I do not know how to obtain the interlaminar shear stress. The commands that I have used are

ETABLE,ILSYZ,SMISC,1 ! SXZ INTERLAMINAR SHEAR STRESS
ETABLE,ILSXZ,SMISC,1 ! SXZ INTERLAMINAR SHEAR STRESS
ETABLE,ILMX,SMISC,1 ! INTERLAMINAR SHEAR STRESS VECTOR SUM

but the value seems absurd. I think the number after SMISC was wrongly put because I don't think it is 1. I do not know what is the correct number to obtain the interlaminar shear stress at the top and bottom of the core.

ANSYS help for SHELL181 stated

Bottom of Layer i Top of Layer NL
ILSXZ SMISC 8 * (i - 1) + 51 8 * (NL - 1) + 52
ILSYZ SMISC 8 * (i - 1) + 53 8 * (NL - 1) + 54
ILSUM SMISC 8 * (i - 1) + 55 8 * (NL - 1) + 56
ILANG SMISC 8 * (i - 1) + 57 8 * (NL - 1) + 58

However I do not know what is " i " and what is " NL ". Can someone help me with this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back