Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

how to perform consoildation,triaxial and permeability

Status
Not open for further replies.

msharief

Civil/Environmental
Apr 18, 2001
US
I am interested to learn how to perform Triaxial,Permeability and Consolidation.Is there any traning courses or videos or any software where I can learn. Mohammed A Sharief

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you considered taking a degree in Civil Engineering, which includes Soil Mechanics on the course? Most of the competent professionals I have met working in the field(s) of Geotechnical Engineering are civil engineers with postgraduate degrees in the geotechnical area. You may find a course on how to perform the tests, but you need to know when (and where) and how often to perform the tests, and you need to be able to interpret the results. You need to be able to understand the tests well enough to understand what to do with results that are not "standard".

You also need to use the results of other tests with the ones you mentioned to understand the behaviour of the soil, both as it is before you carry out any construction and after completion of construction.

I'm not aware of any videos or training software, although I'm sure someone reading this will. If so, I would caution you to use it as refresher training, and not as your only training.

I agree with Sean2's comments. If you are a lab technician or an inexperienced engineer and want additional knowledge of these tests, there is a Geotechnical Laboratory Short Course at the University of Missouri at Rolla. It is excellent, but as Sean2 said, you need to understand the concept and theory behind the tests, not just how to run them.

Thanx Sean and Ron.I do have a Civil Engineering degree from India.But it has been long time I graduated.Currently I am a Staff Technician with 3years experience in Asphalt,Concrete and Soils at Mactec Engineering(Law Engineering)Birmingham.I have not done Triaaxial,Permebility and Consolidation so far.That's why I was interested to
learn how to perform these tests.thanx for ur advise once again. Mohammed A Sharief

msharief...Your company is very familiar with the school I mentioned...they have sent many to that short course. In your company, you also have some excellent resources. I would suggest you get with your Regional Chief Engineer or your Corporate Director of Engineering and pursue training in the area you desire.

Good luck.

ps...I do not work for MacTech (Law Engineering), I'm just familiar with the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back