Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to plaster or snugly fit a flexible sheet onto a rigid body? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

emrahbozkurt2007

Mechanical
Oct 19, 2007
TR
Hello,

As seen in the attached picture, I want to plaster or snugly fit a thin flexible sheet (yellow) onto a rigid body's cylindrical surface (green). How can I do this with UG? If impossible with UG, which program should I use?

Starting point of the problem is this:
I have a design which will be produced from a flexible plastic material. When produced, this flexible planar part will be plastered or fit onto a rigid body's cylindrical face..Normally, I made the design as planar, because this sheet will anyways take the bent shape since it is flexible... Now, I have to make FEA analysis of my flexible shape while it is plastered or fit onto that rigid body with cylindrical shape...However, my part was designed as planar, but I have to make the analysis with its bent shape onto the rigid body. I cannot fit or plaster my thin flexible sheet onto that rigid body's cylindrical face using UG. How can I do that?

Thanks very much in advance.

Emrah

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By the way, the attached picture is just for illustration purposes..Apparently, I could not manage to plaster the sheet onto the rigid body in real terms!! That's why I am asking how to do the task...

Regards,
Emrah

You will have to create an analysis part in the molded shape. I dont think UG (im using NX2) can take an existing flat part and form it to a cylindrical part.

If you want to create a formed part just for analysis purposes, i would do the following:

extract a face from the cylindrical body and then thicken the sheet. Insert>formed feature>extract> (then select the face icon)

or,, use "section curves" to section the cylindrical face, then sweep the curves to create a sheet body then thicken the sheet body.

If you want it parametric thru sketch then place each section curve in a sketch and constrain them before you sweep them into a sheet/thicken. then save as a new component.

I am on NX2 so i dont know if there are any newer tricks to this. Also it would depend on how complex the mating surface is.

Since you do have planar geometry and a cylinder, you can wrap the geometry onto the cylinder, create a surface using that geometry (extract the cylinder surface and trim) and thicken to achieve your formed part.

I believe that if the initial object is flat and the wrapped object is a cylinder that you should be able to use the wrap/unwrap curves function to produce the desired result. I'll leave you to browse the documentation for a detailed description of how the function works. Insert>Curve from curves>Wrap/Unwrap (hit F1 for help).

Once you have that working you will be able to take the edge curves off a plane and wrap them to a cylinder. To create a body do, as another user above suggested, extract a face trim the boundary and thicken.

Downside is that if this is a metal forming application then we woyuld normally apply bend allowance as the metal stretches about it's neutral axis not the inside face. You can duplicate this quite easily by creating a neutral axis offset of the cylinder diameter.

If you want to use shapes other than cylinders it gets to be a significantly tougher ask. Please let us know how you went.

I answered the reverse of this recently and John Baker came up with the better solution so credit where it is due.

Regards

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back