Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to prepare for an entry level mechanical engineering interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

kisangoli57

Electrical
Dec 12, 2020
RO
I have an interview coming up this week at a medical devices company and I was wondering what others have done to prepare for an entry level mechanical engineering interview? What kinds of questions should I be prepared to answer besides the obvious behavioral questions? Are they likely to ask me difficult technical questions? I graduated over a year ago so I am kind of rusty, which is why I am concerned about this specifically.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kisangoli57 (Electrical) === entry level mechanical engineering

THAT would seem to be a major issue.

Do you have a portfolio of coursework done, particularly anything innovative?
I would expect, but YMMV, that someone will ask technical questions, up to and including theory, but primarily to assess your problem solving skills, or lack thereof.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

good luck with your interview, just be true to yourself, since they are looking for entry level they will train you.
answer honestly at the same time show confidence you can do the job. and act very eager

being "rusty" after only a year out from school is a worrying sign.

admitting to feeling "rusty" is possibly a good sign !?

don't blow smoke ... if they ask you something and you've NO idea say so. if you've an inkling of an idea say so. if you're confident you've a good answer, say so.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

make eye contact, don't show any fear, answer every question honestly and spontaneously, show confidence and humility. Don't hesistate to pause to collect your thoughts. Don't be afraid of silence.

These types of questions are disturbing to me. Certainly there are legitimate aspects to the question, but it comes across as asking "How can I better pretend to be something that I am not."
You have spent your whole life becoming who you are, and learning at school. A job interview is a process for others to learn these things about you. If you try to fake it through a job interview it shows that you are someone who tries to fake it through life. Unfortunately that approach is often successful.

One, There is no way of knowing what types of technical questions you may get. An interview isn't a test you can study for; you either grasp the major concepts at this point or you don't. The best thing to do when faced with a technical question is to take a deep breath, step back, and try to work through the problem logically, even if you don't know the answer. Your process may be more important than the answer.

Two, don't discount the behavioral questions. You are likely going to be working on a team, and managers are going to want someone that can work with that team. Be yourself, but be prepared to talk about difficulties you had in group projects in school and how you overcame them. An engineer that can work well with others is more valuable than one who can just solve technical problems, in some cases.

Well it's been a loooong time since I did it, but my eldest has recently done this and apart from trying not to be so nervous you can't speak properly, the answer is research and more research into the company, its products, its newly announced products, the key people in the company, where do they design, manufacture, supply and any speeches or presentations they've made, papers published etc.

If you can been seen as someone that knows more about the company than the people interviewing you then you will stand out.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back