Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to print 2D of each part from a 3D machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

autocad2007

Mechanical
May 11, 2006
US
I have a drawing of a machine consisting of about 10 parts drawn with 3D solids to 1:1 scale, each part on a seperate layer; I need to print 2D drawings of each part on a seperate printed page and include dimensions for fabrication. The 3D machine is drawn but has no dimensions printed.

I tried freezing all the layers except the single part in a viewport, but I could not get the desired freezing/thawing to occur simultaneously in both model space and in multiple viewports for different parts. Either model space parts get frozen or freezing in one viewport changes other viewports.

Also the dimensions made in the viewports show up in model space which is akward being it a 3D image as they show up as a sliver when viewed from the side and each parts dimensions overlap each other.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use VPLAYER to freeze all but one layer in a each viewport, and put the dimensions in paper space. You lock the viewport scale, and set the dimscale for that viewport accordingly ... or something like that. I'm still fuzzy on this way of doing things.

OR, if you want to put the dimensions in model space, you can use SOLVIEW, SOLDRAW, and SOLSECT to (semi- automatically) generate 2D views from 3D models ... there's a trick to keeping the resulting planes of dimensions and planar images out of the model space field of view. Before SOLDRAW, move the UCS away from the model in all three dimensions. Give the viewports short simple names you can remember, and tag each viewport with its name on the DefPoints layer. That way you can keep track of the generated layers.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back