Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to properly damp a horizontally installed filter on air compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peebert12

Chemical
Dec 15, 2021
US
We have an air compressor where the heavy-duty filter on it was installed horizontally on the top end of the compressor instead of vertically. This is naturally contributing to the vibrational forces of the system, and the screws that hold the filter panel in place keep shearing off.

I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) I can solve the screw shearing issue by just using dampened screws. I don't even think that would need to be engineered. But to solve the increase in vibrational force of the filter unit itself would it be better to support it from the floor or the top? There was a retrofitted design to hold the filter in place with a bottom support but the vibration just transmitted through the wire holding it and shears the bottom support over time. This design also didn't do anything to help damp the vibration.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many pictures needed for this old man.

In my experiences "sheared" screws/bolts means bolts fatigued from being subjected to cyclic loading with out benefit of sufficient preload ( by design, or any of several installation errors) , or joint designs poorly thought through.

Yeah, generally speaking ( no pictures, remember) a crappy filter/accessory mount can subject the component assembly to un-necessary and large vibration forces.

Peebert12,

I agree. We need a picture.

Do you have screws clamping on a soft, flexible, easily damaged filter? Screws stay tight when they are tightened down hard. Consider using shoulder screws or spacers.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back