Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to properly mesh a notched tensile test in Abaqus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ander Azpi

Student
Mar 3, 2021
AU
Hello!
I'm struggling when meshing a tensile test with a notch. The simulation seems fine at first, but when stretching, the elements on the notch get extremely deformed and the simulation eventually crashes.

Any idea of how I could do that?

The simulation is an axisymmetric standard/implicit simulation. Also, I'm using UMATHT subroutine to simulate hydrogen diffusion.

Thanks in advance

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8ff08dbd-7dc8-4cb6-8501-d5377d043284&file=ProblemMesh.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello, Thanks for your answer!

The problem with this is that I need quad elements for the subroutine to work, and adaptive meshing forces me to use tet/quad-dom

Then you may have to refine the mesh manually - use very dense mesh in the problematic region (partitions may help you reduce the size of that region to a minimum).

part of the problem, as I see it, is that the mesh size is already very small and deformations are creating bad elements.

more than adaptive meshing, I think you need element order meshing ... "P" elements (or is it "H" ?)

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back