Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to protect tcl file before editing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean by protect? Are you talking about preventing changes or backing up to be able to recover? Are you talking about shop docs or post processor?

Cheers
Steve Griffiths :)

If you want to make apple pie from scratch, first you must create the universe!

I mean tcl file encryption from postprocessor.
so that unauthorized person could not edit it
I heard about the program TBCload,
can anyone of you heard about him and knows something more
whether it is free, and how it works in practice

Don't know how that works or if it would work with NX as far as how NX would get through the encryption to run the file. But you could try not sending the pui file with the processor. This might discourage the editing some as you would not be able to open the processor in Post Builder without doing some tricks to actually create another pui file. I haven't ever tried this but your dat file only looks to the tcl and def files. But if you don't load machines and browse for your posts in NX then this won't work because it looks for the pui file.

Yes I now

I ask for two reasons
1st Maybe someday I will have to shared main postprocessor and wants to protect
2nd I have one such postprocessor protected in this way (whit file tcl & def)

#######################################

I have question for you shags72
have you ever done a reverse postprocessor for the virtual machine?

I am a licensed user of NX
I create for their co-workers postprocessor
I dont want any of them that something broke, if someone changes something in the TCL file

Could me something more to say about this?

I suggest you use the Operating System to protect your post files just like other resource files that you want to protect, such as templates and libraries.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

@ AGAINSTME, if you RMB on a file you will see a tab Security. There you can give permissions on who can modify/read/write/.... the file.
So i think Mark means, give yourself Full Control over the file and the users just read rights. They can use it but are not able to modify it.

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX7.5.4.4 + TC Unified 8.3

If you are providing post processors to other companies as a service, there are other ways that UGS has that can help protect your source files from being modified by the customer.

Not providing the .pui file and using file security rights are just some of them.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

The problem is that in my company, unfortunately I am not an administrator.
I can not give permission to the folders, etc.. :(
That is why I am looking for other options

Work with your IT department admins. Have them set the folders so you have full control but other users in the NC group only have read rights.
IT can set the NC group rights aross the folder to read-only and then give you the full-control to the folder where the posts reside.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back