Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to put surface stress as load

Status
Not open for further replies.

manvin

Electrical
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Hi everybody
i have a problem for which i need some help

I want to study the effect of surface stress on a cantilever surface and resulting deflection but i am unable to find a load option for surface stress.
Can anybody help me in this regard

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

> I want to study the effect of surface stress on a cantilever surface and resulting deflection but i am unable to find a load option for surface stress.

More information is the place you need to start.

+ Elements used?
+ BCs
+ What have you tried already?
+ By surface stress you mean pressure? Or what?
+ etc.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Hi
Drez
thanks for considering my problem

I have used solid 92
It is not the pressure i am looking at.
It is the surface stress like the one that develops on a beam surface when it is deflected.

I want to put surface stress on beam surface and then look at deflection it cause.

if you could suggest a element for beams on which i can apply input as surface stress that will be great

Regards

Surface stress is an OUTPUT, not an INPUT. You have to apply a deflection/force/stress to obtain surface stresses in a beam in the manner that you've suggested.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Manvin,

Drej is 100% right. You can rely on linearity of your problem (if you are in linear case, as it seems) in order to compare the "trial" stress solution you get with your "trial" displacement/force/pressure with the "target" stress solution you want to compare with: simply, if trial stress is half the target, the load pattern that will give the target stress is twice the trial one. Of course due to calculation deviations, it's unlikely that you will get a stress pattern 100% compatible with your target one in every point: so, interpolate btw points to compare the stress patterns. Creating the "trial" load pattern requires knowing "how" the beam was loaded to obtain the stress pattern you want to re-create.

Claudio

Use initial stresses to stress your model . you can read in initial stresses from a file.See documentation for details of command and an example problem.

--BRC--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back