Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to re-normalize A516-70 PWHT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimboux

Mechanical
Oct 3, 2011
US
My client wants A516-70 plates that have been rolled and welded to be re-normalized after welding.

The dimensions are about 40" ID X 1.5" wall x 8" long. Can anyone please point me to a spec that would provide the necessary temperature, holding time, heating/cooling rates, etc.?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The temperature is typically 100F or 50C above Ac3 or Acm in iron/carbon diagram depending on your specific chemical composition and you probably have to calculate carbon equivalent to use the diagram. Holding time shall be around 1.5 hours at above austenitizing temperature and cool it is still or forced air.

If you do it outside, your heat treater should have a pretty good idea about every setup since they know their own facility the best. Or another quick route is to use the same normalizing configuration if the plate was normalized prior to rolling and welding.

Final note, I would do it vertically to minimize any possible distortion.

jimboux,
If Sec IX is applicable, keep in mind the WPS must be qualified with the heat treat you plan to use. It sounds like you'll be heat treating at a temp > the upper transformation temp, ( normalizing) which is an essential variable in Sec IX.

jimboux;
What you ask for are process details that any boiler/pressure vessel plate fabrication shop, which holds an ASME code stamp, can easily provide or pipe fabrication shop (which holds a Power Piping PP stamp).

For SA-516, the normalizing temperature should be approximately 1650 F. Per Table 2 of SA-672, the maximum normalizing temperature for pipe made from SA-516 is 1700 F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back