Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reference feature in assy module?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stekicar

Industrial
Jul 25, 2006
US
I have the part B which is the base for part A. Part A has holes and I place holes on part B to match holes on part A. I do that in assembly module. I am using axis of holes on part A to reference position for holes on part B. That way, if I move part A, holes on part B follow holes on part A ('cause they are concentric).
When I want to replace part A with new part C (not from a family table), holes on part B will lose reference for axis on part A, and I will have to "edit define" holes by referencing them to new holes on part C. Is there any way in Pro/E to reference position of holes on part B, so that no matter what part I put, holes follow holes on new part?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

Have you looked into INTERCHANGE Assemblies?

----------------------------------
Hope this helps.

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

Hello,

I don't think this is what you are after. As I understand, you are creating holes for a part in the assmebly mode, and you are using one of the parts as references, you are then suppressing or deleting this part and replacing it. Obviously the features fail.

Hope this helps.

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

Seems to me you should have assembly axii. You can adjust your hole locations by changing the location of your assembly axii.

Then place holes in part A part B and part C referencing the assembly axii.

Hope this helps.

SrG

The problem that I see you having is because you delete the part B before putting part C in. This breaks the references, so you have to redefine them.
A better way of doing this would be to add part C and Edit Definition to move part B.

Thank you for the answers. Still have some questions:
1. What is INTERCHANGE assemblies and how to use it?
2. Is there a way (even if I have to use programming) to replace one part (Part B) with another (part C) and to maintain reference for the holes on part A and how to do it?
3. Is it possible to make reference to trhe name of the axis of part B and part C so the hole on part A always follows those axis depending what part I have put in assy?
4. Assemblies relations, how to use it the right way?

Thank you!

onlyadrafter,

Good suggestion to use interchange assembly functionality which I will now summarize Again because I started writing my answer from the ProE Browser which I'll never do again.
I copied my post before leaving the window but then I copied the image location and when I got back to Pro my text was gone. [banghead]

How to create and use Interchange Assemblies[/b]
Here it goes
1) First thing to do is create a new assembly of the interchange subtype
File > New > Assembly > Interchange
enter a recognizable name like ASM_XXXXX_A_INT.asm
where your original assembly name that component A&B are now in is ASM_XXXXX.asm

2) Add components A and C into this assembly. They can be positioned automatically because mating has no actual function in the interchange assembly.

3) Then figure out all the references in part A that have children in your part B
These will be all the Axes in part A used as references for co-axial holes in part B and any mating references such as the mating face on part A. If your part is Concentric as you say your life will be made easier if your other two mates are to assembly planes.

4) In your interchange assembly you will need to create Reference Tags
Insert > Reference Tag
Enter a name for the tab like HOLE_REF1 and hit New
(note if your holes in part B are part of a Reference Pattern, you will only need to create a single Axis Tag of the Pattern leader.

5) Select the Tag Name in the Tags list.
Select the Axis used for your first hole in part A and it will appear in the Assignments Box
Then Select the C component in the assignments box and pick the equivalent reference Axis in that part.
edb6a143.jpg

6) Create your Mating Surface Tags and additional Axis Tags if the holes are not part of a pattern.

7) Replacing component A with compoonent C
Select the Component A from the Model Tree and Right click and select Replace and you should get a dialog like the image below.
edb68416.jpg

Click the open folder Icon below Selected model and you will see a list of the interchange Assembly that A is in and the other components that you added to the interchange.
Select the + sign and choose Component C from the list and hit OK twice.

Wow that took some time to write. Hope it helps out.

Michael

[wavey3]

Thank you everyone! I will now try to do what you have told me. I am very busy but I will inform you on how thing worked out as sson as possible. Thank you again!

Stekicar,

If you want to have a seamless when changing out Part A for Part C, make sure to also include Reference Tags for the features you used to assemble Part A. Otherwise you'll be asked to redefine it's position. If your Part is the first in the assembly you can keep it positioned which does not require any Assembly constraints.

Good luck with your work on your Interchange Assembly.

Michael

[wavey3]

I just have found out that we have only BASIC Pro/E software. Nothing stated above I cannnot use. Now I will have to do everything manually.

Thank you, everyone, for great help!

There is still a way, but it depends how complicated you want things to become!

Create an empty part that will become a skeleton - this won't have the functionality of a "true" Pro/E skeleton, but will do the same job.

Create the axes you need in this part file.

Create part file A, but also assembly A. Into assembly A, assemble part A and the skeleton.

When you come to defining the holes, do this in Assembly A. Activate part A, and create the holes by referencing the axes in the skeleton.

When you model part part C, use the same process.

How inter-related are parts A and C?

This may help, but I don't know the full context of your design.

Best regards

Dave

Stekicar,

Another thing to consider is to create the holes at the Assembly level. When you create the holes at the Assembly level you would not need to use a skeleton model. You could just reference the holes to the assembly planes.

When you create the holes at assembly level you can tell Pro/E to automatically intersect both parts A & B. If you switch part A for part C the Automatic intersections should update automatically.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back