How to repair a damaged RAR file? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bastiengrandis31

Bioengineer
Mar 24, 2015
BE
Hi guys!

I've download a big file more than 4 Gb and finally after several weeks i got a message during extracting from WinRAR, that my rar file is damaged.

Can someone help me with such complicated situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go somewhere with more bandwidth, and download it again.
Even better, retrieve it from a different archive, using a different transfer protocol.

(
In general, all compression schemes, like RAR, remove all redundancy from a file, so a single bit glitch makes it nonrecoverable.
)

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I'm guessing they're using bitTorrent or similar. You basically have to download again. Or just buy it.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Try next one manually solution in WinRAR:

<Open the file in WinRAR (download from internet if you don't have one).
<Press your right mouse-button.
<Click on "Repair archive", or press Alt+R.
<Click on Browse button and select a folder where you want to keep the repaired archive.
<There will be two options ("Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and "Treat the corrupt archive as ZIP").
<Select any one of your choice (or see which one will work) and click on OK button.
<Go to the folder where you have kept the repaired archive and open it (Repaired archive will be named as rebuilt.*.rar or rebuilt.*.zip, where * is the name of original archive).

If the guide above isn't effective for your damaged .rar file, then...

- thread where is discussed the same issue with .rar file
- open community for any experienced users
RAR Repair Toolbox - gives you the guarantee of fast and quality restoration, but of course it costs money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back