Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to repair when motor starting winding failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jed057

Electrical
Mar 18, 2009
Dear guru,
We have a fan motor but the problem is motor starting winding failed So we need to start by manual only.

Please any advise what we can we do for this ?

Only change capacitor or do new winding ?

Thanks for your share knowledge

Young engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need two things: a scrap metal skip for the old motor and ebay for a new one. It is rare that a repair to an FHP motor is economically justifiable - I'm assuming FHP because it's a fan and single phase.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

If you like to get your hands dirty, you could have fun by trying to rewind the motor by yourself. Just make sure to note the connections of the coils, no. of turns in each coil and the wire gauge. Get some good impregnating varnish and you're good to go.

Muthu

We have a fan motor but the problem is motor starting winding failed So we need to start by manual only.
Starting winding failure is not the most common failure mode. The most common failure mode is the capacitor on capacitor start motors or the centrifugal switch on non capacitor single phase motors. Both these conditions are repairable.
A failed starting winding is usually the result of a centrifugal switch that has failed to open.
Hire an expert.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Cheap fan motor = $100 US, probably less.

Start switch = $15?
Capacitor = $10?

Potential savings, $90 best case.

Labor time to select, purchase, receive, inspect, disassemble, inspect, repair, reassemble and inspect either of those parts = 4 hours best case, probably more...

Your time is now worth $15 /hour or less.

I make considerably more than that...

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

I tried telling my wife that I shouldn't have to wash the dishes because that's a $15 an hour job

once.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

lol. Or else I'm not mechanically inclined - it would take me at least 2 hours longer.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Jeb, the answer is depends. You did not give much info. Is it company or personal fan? What size, horsepower, volts, etc is the fan motor? How often is it run and how critical is it? As stated above for single phase motors it is most likely the start capacitor or contact in the centrifugal switch. I have seen the bearing grease or oil get hard or dry out and the fan not start unless you manually spin the blade. If the winding has burned you most likely need to just get a new one.

Thank You,Radar. Duke Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back