Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to replace part family member

Status
Not open for further replies.

realmagicracer

Aerospace
Jan 3, 2008
BG
I have the following idea - to create a part family (.prt file). Then to insert one of te members into assembly.
Ok! This side of the task is done. But now I want to replace this part using other part family member (from the same part family).
Is there a way to do this, and how?

Regards: Dimo Urumov
Aircraft Engineer
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actually "substitute" works. But I thought that there is "smarter" way to do this. Maybe some kind of context menu: "Replace part family member".
Anyway...
Thanks Hudson!

Regards: Dimo Urumov
Aircraft Engineer
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Well there's a way so that the system will 'automatically' replace one Part Family member with another based on some 'criteria' changing. For example, you might link the length of a fastener (screw) with the thickness of the parts being bolted together. If the thickness changes, it will replace the screw with one of a different length.

Go to the User Documentation and do a search on 'family' & 'criteria'. You may have to follow a few of the links but it should provide you with some ideas as to how to use a 'criteria' when adding a Part Family member to an assembly.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back