Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to Report ASME BPVC Fabricators that are supplying vessels that do not meet Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XGI_451

Chemical
Dec 28, 2020
US
I am in the difficult position of working for a Pressure Vessel Manufacturer that is supplying vessels that do not meet code.
I am looking for guidance on who to contact or the Procedure/Process to report this manufacturer so this issue gets rectified before they kill someone.
I have reached out to ASME directly at the e-mail address they provide for concerns on abuse of the ASME Certification Mark.
I have also reached out to the National Board with no response.

I have already experienced significant backlash from upper management within this company who are content to pretend no issue exists.
I therefore have no recourse to resolve this internally, as I would have liked, and must now pursue appropriate resolution externally.

Further suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are not in an enviable situation. The whistle-blower is a difficult role to play.

Maybe not relevant to the scenario, but how are you sure that ASME code is not being met? Is the Authorized Inspector signing off on the U-1a/U-2 etc forms aware of the alleged non compliance as well? When was the last time the shop was audited?

----------------------------------
Not making a decision is a decision in itself

Send a letter , again, to ASME, specifically addressing the allegations. Address it to the Director of Conformity Assessment. Also copy the National Board. Address that one to the Executive Director.
I will be shocked if they do not respond to you. It is their job to look into ALL allegations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back