Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reverse engineer a miniature engine casing

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMERYOUNOS

Mechanical
Sep 11, 2001
GB
How to reverse engineer a miniature engine casing.I want to model in Pro/e .I ve heard the best solution is either to use CMM or scanner to take the dimensions.Does anyone can explain the scanner or CMM method.By the way it is a single cylinder ,two stroke glow ignition engine.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

3D scanners are good marketing tools. They are made to scan something that an artist has done by hand or an existing product and represent it in a CAD-like 3D space. Problem is, they are generally very proprietary and do not gather data that a CAD system would use.

CMM is the way to go, but either the CMM program must be capable of generating IGES surfaces from a point cloud, or you need ProE's CMM interface module (which I am told is not that robust).

Post what you eventually use, as I would be interested in your findings. We are tossing around the idea of purchasing the 'curves and surfaces' module for our CMM program as well.

Recneps

Recneps

Have you had a bad experience with scanners? They are used for reverse engineering and inspection all of the time. If used properly they are very accurate (<0.001&quot;). There is lots of software avalable to turn the point coulds into surfaces. (We use Paraform.) The surfaces are easily turned into Parametric Pro/E files. There are many service providers that will scan your part and quickly return fully modifable Pro/E file.

Gom has some good examples on thier web page

this page lists lots of other scanners.

If anyone needs more help with scanning I will be glad to answer e-mails.

ProEpro

I must admit that I have no experience with scanners that are designed for output to CAD applications. I have seen and tested a few that are designed for 'reverse marketing'...where a product is created and marketing wants a pretty 3D picture of it so they can stick it in a brochure. I have no need for those.

Recneps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back