Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to 'saveas' a part and it's drawing together

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdt020471

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2002
GB
I need to modify a part which then needs up-issuing. The issue number is part of the filename, so I need to 'saveas' the part. The problem I have is that I also need to copy and rename the drawing too. Does anyone know how to do this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

I am assuming you don't have INTRALINK, becasue if you did you could just DUPLICATE them both with the new name.

----------------------------------
Hope this helps.
----------------------------------

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

I'm not sure if this will work in Wildfire, but in previous versions it did. You need to add the following to your config.pro file.

rename_drawings_with_object both

The drawing does not have to be "in session". The model may be a part or assembly.
Perform a File, Save As on the model. The system will create a new drawing in the working directory with the same name as the new model. The new drawing is a copy of the original drawing and references the new model.
We used this all the time to get a new drawing with a new model. Hope this helps you out.

WRH

If you make a copy of the drawing, that automaticaly brings the part(s) too in the folder where you save it. After that (if you don't have Intralink) you have to have both the drawing and part(s) in session and rename them as you wish.

im4cad
Pro Design Services, Inc.

Agree with WRH with a condition: both model and drawing must have the same name. If not, the drawing will be not be saved as a a new name when you save as the part/assy.

-Hora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back