Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to search the database for the creator

Status
Not open for further replies.

SrGilberto

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2004
US
Hi,
(using WF5.0 and Windchill)
I'm relatively new to Windchill. I'd like to search commonspace for the creator. I haven't yet figured out how to do that type of search. Surely it can be done, right? Can someone give me a clue?
Thanks
SrG.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On the search page, go to advanced search

Select Search Criteria at the bottom and choose criteria Created By and then select the operator and value and hit the search button.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

This appears to be the correct way to do it. But this is not working for me. I'd like to search for all the Pro-e parts that I've created in Windchill and by default the box labeled "Search For:" has "Document" entered into the field. There is a "Find" button next to it and when I select that a dialog box pops up that allows me to choose what type document to search for. I select "Part". Then, as you've mentioned, I search criteria as created by, equals, my name. The results are just the objects with the gray gear icon (the "WT" part). I was expecting, and hoping, to find all my Pro-E part objects. That selection, however, is not an option in the "Search For:" field. So how do I find the Pro-e part objects rather than the WT parts?

You are not searching for 'Part' which is the WTpart.
You want to search for the 'EPM Document' which is the holder of the CAD files.

Ben Loosli

Search, then Adavanced Search
In the Define Scope of Search area is a Search for box with a Find button. My box defaults to Document. Press the Find and in the pop-up, scroll down and select EPM Document.

Then fill in the Select Search Criteria fields for creator, etc.

I am on PDMLink 9 M050, so things may be different on 9.1.

Ben Loosli

Well I never did find "EPM Document" in the "selection" box. However, on another forum, someone told me to select "Workgroup Manager CAD Document". That gives me the results I want.

Tanks for your all your help.
SrG.

What Wndchill application and version are you running?
PDMLink, IntraLink, MPMLink, ProjectLink?
9.0, 9.1 and 10 are all different.

Ben Loosli

I know we're useing Wildfire 5.0 build M060. And I know we run Windchill (I think that's PDMLink). Don't know what version. I'd have to ask my administrator to find out what version (or can I click on something that will tell me what version Windchill I'm using). By the way, we have some people here that hate Windchill with a passion. We used to use Intralink, and we loved the freedom and simplicity of Intralink. Now some of our people think that the complicated processes in Windchill have the them spending way too much time on things other than engineering and design. I keep asking, "Isn't there a 'Windchill Lite' version that would be more simplistic than the full blown Windchill?" I suppose not, huh?
thanks,SrG

If it OOTB, at the bottom of the screen is an About WIndchill tag that will display version and build information.

Windchill is base technology, only a big toolkit. PDMlink and Intralink are applications built on the Windchill framework. Intralink in this case is 8.0 and higher, not the simplier 3.x version.

If your company implemented Windchill as a means of saving your engineers time, the person that did the selling should be sued or fired. Any complex data management system will not save you time directly from the engineering side. It does provide benefits to the company as a whole, if fully implemented and tuned. Tuning is more than just software settings. Is your hardware prefroming fast enough for the load of your use community?

At my last admin job, we had a dual processor Xeon with 4GB of memory as the Windchill server with 30-40 users. Had to reboot twice a day to keep the method servers from choking themselves to death. Upgradeed to a dual quad-core with 16GB memory and my reboots went down and performance went up. Still rebooted every night, but that deals with Wintel machines in general since their memory management is terrible.

If you implemented PDMLink, are you using it to its fullest or should you have implemented Intralink instead? Intralink does CAD vaulting and release cycles, just like 3.4 did. PDMLink does full change management from initial problem report to change notification with CAD vaulting a part in the middle.

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back