Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to select a mechanical filter using PM figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunalover

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2002
US
Folks-
I need to control the incoming (dry ) air provided to cool a hydrogen fuel cell and the cleanliness of the air is stated as follows:
Fine particles (PM 2.5)<20 micrograms/cubic-meter
Coarse particles (PM 10)<50 micrograms/cubic-meter.
where PM stands for Particulate Matter and the 2.5 and 10 refer to the aerodynamic diameters of the particles in microns.

I passed this reqt on to an air filter mfgr and they didn't know what to make of it. Can anyone out there provide some direction on this? If a major air filter mfgr can't figure it out how am I supposed to? I appreciate all inputs!
Thanks!

I called an air filter company and they didn't know what to make of this.

Tunalover

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ugh. To convert from an aerodynamic diameter to a true diameter, you'd have to know the density of the material (or range of densities, or a probability distribution of density), and then make assumptions about the shape of the particles so that you could estimate the drag coefficient (Cd) and back-calculate a (real) particle diameter.

I would just assume the "aero diameter" is equal to the true particle diameter and go from there; but would also make that assumption very clear to the end user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back