Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to send PLC's data into SQL server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELEphilippe

Electrical
May 5, 2003
CA
I would like to know if it is possible to send PLC data to an SQL interface on a PC. More precisely i would like to know how to store data in SQL server from a siemens PLC. What software and/or hardware do i need and what is the procedure to collect data from de PLC to the PC.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, this is done all the time. Have you done any research on this yourself? If so, what have you learned so far? Where have you looked? Please ask more specific questions. There are lots of different ways to do this, but you need provide more information. Typically, you buy an HMI/SCADA package that has OPC capability. There are a ton of software packages out there that will do this type of job.

xnuke

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Siemens PLC's can be a little tricky with transfering data, but as XNuke said, there are a ton of solutions. To answer the question well, You need to know which Siemens PLC you are talking to and what port you want to pull the data out of. They have their own special versions of most comunications including worldbus, ethernet, serial, etc. I would start by talking to your Siemens Sales person to see which options are available for communication on your particular PLC. Note that many of the options require a fairly expensive Siemens PC card. Then you can look at SCADA manufacturers. You might start looking at to start with. The brands I would recommend are Wonderware, Iconics, and GE Fanuc (who just bought Intellution). Then see who has a package that fits your needs.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back