Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to shift perspective of video from digital microscope 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianrichardson

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2015
Hello!

I am working on a workspace where an operator uses a punch press to punch precise holes in tubing, and I would like to incorporate a digital microscope to assist the operator with punch location and alignment. For maximum clarity I would like the operator to be able to see where the punch will land "head on", or from the perspective of the punch itself, but obviously that's impossible. I have heard about digital processing that alters the image to shift the point of perspective, in theory allowing the operator a good approximation of what the punch is seeing, but I can't find anything online regarding that outside of some tools in Photoshop.

Does anyone know of any software that would be able to do this to streaming video or of an all-in-one package with the software and a camera?

Thanks,
Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No idea about the video..
But surely there is a better mechanical/laser/back-stop/fixture or something else mechanical you can do vs an image to look at?

I do wish it was that way, but suffice it to say that the process can only work with either an operator positioning the tubing and making the punch, or full automation with a vision system which is much more expensive and difficult to do at this point.

Three laser beams can be aimed at a point and the laser dots will converge into one point only when the target is in exactly the correct location. The microscope can magnify dots for extra precision.

Or, you could arrange the optics to look through a mirror, which the press ram moves out of the way after a stroke is initiated.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

If you use a precision positioning stage you can setup on the tube using the camera in one position and then use the stage to move the tubing under the punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back