Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to start automatic gear cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

jan63

Electrical
Aug 4, 2009
PK
I have bought a toyota premio car with automatic gears.I want to know if the car can be started when the battery is down.Normal gear cars can be started by pushing and the switch on.What do we do with these cars

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Call road service.

A few 1960's-era cars with automatic transmissions could be push-started, but I don't think that any automatic tranny car more recent than that can be started that way.

Norm

The change happened further back than that.
Early automatics had two pumps; the second one was just for starting the engine by pushing the car. I think they were last sold in new cars in 1955.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mike, Chrysler's 50's-era iron-case and early 60's aluminum-case Torqueflite transmissions had a rear pump at least through 1964, possibly up to 1966. The shop manual for the aluminum-case version from one of the aluminum-case years specifically mentions that a car so equipped can be started by pushing it (and also warns against attempting a tow-start for the obvious reason).

I used that feature a couple of times in my folks' 1964 Dodge, though I think it had disappeared by the time they bought their '67 Dodge.

A little scary is that I still have the wet-copy duplicating machine pages from that service manual, and that they're still easily readable. Scarier still is that I could find it without much trouble.

Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back