Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to start learning NX programming tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

shankar12

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2016
IN
Hi,
need help from members here, i have been working predominantly with NX CAD & CAM for past 8 years. I would like to learn and explore NX Programming tools like NX Open...

I read through certain blogs and links and have understood that you need to know C, C++ to work with NX programming tools, i am also totally confused from where to start and where do i get descent material to kick start my learning. I want to know this on my personal interest. I have no knowledge of C C++ either....

Any help in this regard is what i am looking out for. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shankar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NX open can be programmed by multiple languages.
C, C++, C#, VB, etc.
You just have to decide which one you feel comfortable with.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX11 / TC11

you should start on understanding and learning concepts of "Object-oriented programming" i think :) then u choose what to program on.

NX8.5 - NX9 - NX 10 - NX11

Yes thanks for the input, also was discussing with one of my friend suggested to start with C language as it is the base for so many applications downstream. i was advised to read and understand book by Yashwant kanetkar titled Let us C. Hope to carry on from there....

There are , i think 3 ways to try
1) learn general programming in some C dialect, then you can add NX User Function , UFUNC, to that. UFUNC is the "NX commands which you use in your programs".
2) Similarly, general programming in VB.NET, then you can add the "NX commands which you use in your programs".
3) Have a look at SNAP. It's supposed to be the simplest programming method for NX. There is a guide to this :

NX Open also supports JAVA and Python, but i think the C variants are more common.

Regards,
Tomas

If you're programming beginner, I would strongly advise you to avoid C and C++. C is out-dated -- most former C programmers have switched to C++. But C++ is an enormously complex language. It's very powerful (if used correctly), but learning to use it correctly takes a long time.

I'd suggest a simpler and more modern language. Most NX users who write journals use VB. So, it's easy to get help on various web sites. Some people just think that C-like code looks nicer than VB code. If you think that, try C#. It's (roughly) C/C++ with all the old junk removed.

If you want to write code that runs on several platforms (not just Windows), try Java or Python.

If you decide to try VB or C#, there are excellent tutorials in the NX docs. Look for "Getting Started with NX/Open", or "Getting Started with SNAP". Both documents include a brief introduction to the VB language.

One more comment on this...

With NX 11, we actually put out a new "Getting Started Guide" for NX Open, based loosely on the popular "Getting Started Guide" for SNAP. This new resource can be found here:

NX Open Getting Started Guide (PDF)

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Product Engineering Software
Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.
(Phoenix, Arizona)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back