Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to start training company? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALEXXX123

Civil/Environmental
Jul 8, 2018
GB
Recently I discussed with my colleagues that would be nice to share our experience in engineering with other people who might need it for starting their careers.

I just want to know what I need for opening training company for setting out engineers, providing short courses.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Follow the Nike lead....Just do it. Advertising will be key. Get mailing lists from the state boards...they are either public information or can be purchased for nominal amounts.

Also, get all of your courses registered for continuing education credit in each state you target.

I'd be more inclined to go slow. Why invest a lot of time and possibly money knowing it may not work out. I'd look at creating a simple program of getting practicing engineers to write small articles that would then be offered to state engineer societies to include in their news letters free. If that becomes popular, maybe look to a form of business. In the process you develop many engineering contacts and that is valuable, even if you can't put a dollar figure to it.

OG once more. As I reflect on this, I have often wondered that if there were some simple way for old guys like me to pass on some interesting experiences learned only by experience, not in books or classes. If I or others had had exposure to things I have been involved with or seen by "experimenting" by trial and error we could could save others time and expense and it might even be profitable. One field with these experiences is dealing with expansive clays. This subject matter would not only be useful to beginning engineers, but also those with plenty of experience. Another field is mistakes due to well meaning designers.

oldestguy said:
...if there were some simple way for old guys like me to pass on some interesting experiences learned only by experience...

Contact the "Continuing Education" department at a local college and offer to teach a "short course". You determine what is taught during the short course. I did this several years ago. Don't call it a "seminar", I quickly learned that the wording is very important. A "course" is composed of individual "classes". A short course can be one class. Apparently, the college gets "credit" for the number of courses offered... seminars don't count. Also, it is not important to the college if nobody takes your short course, they get "credit" for just offering it.

[idea]
[r2d2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back