Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Subtract Part B from Part A to form Part C, the space between them. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

caligirl626

Electrical
Jan 6, 2011
US
Simple question for you smart boys here. If one wants to subtract part/feature B from a larger feature / part A, how does one generate part C, which consists of the space, or "air" between both parts / features? I know how to use the Combine/Subtract to create a mold, but I want a new part consisting of only the space in between them.
Thanks for you help in advance. ~Tina

Solidworks 2011

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There could be several ways to do that. The best method will depend on the shapes involved and their relative positions.
Can you post the assembly (complete with parts) or at least an image or two?

The parts are pretty simple. In the image below, Part A is transparent, Part B is shown solid. There are extrusions on both parts that meet inside the cylinder as shown. Now, what I need are instructions on how to generate what I call Part C, which would be the "space" or "air" inside the cylinder.
I hope this is clear. Assembly attached below. Thanks. ~Tina
www.freeimagehosting.net
evln1.jpg

Simplest way for that would be to Insert > Component > New Part, use the Intersection Curve tool to create a profile sketch on either the Top or Right plane, then create a Revolve with that sketch. The part could be saved internal or external to the assy.

Another method would be to save the assy as a part (or insert parts A & B into a new part), and then use the normal Combine or Intersect tools for a multi-body part.

Create a new part C which is larger than the air between the two parts, but smaller than the outside of the two parts. Then subtract both A and B from C.

Eric

I was able to make the part by creating a sketch and using the convert entities tool I made the profile of one part of the void inside. Then I drew a construction line along the center of the part and used the revolve tool to create the inside piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back