Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to supply water to 300 Meter or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

milena0208

Automotive
Feb 20, 2005
AR
How to supply water to 300 Meter or 30 Barg, on a mountain trench not regular profile, upward and downward, total distance 1300 mt.
Flow 1 m3 day, working rate 18 hr 24 hr.
Plastic hose to be use.
My guess is to use piston pumps.
My concern: do it need air reliefs, or vacuum brake stations, like when water is flow in a closed pipe, "aqueduct", by centrifugal pumps.
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Few more details and a bit of background.

1) do you have a profile? This is critical to understand the optimum solution
2) 1000 litres a day? Over 18 hours? That's a pitifully low volume and flow rate. Can't you just haul an IBC up the hill once a day?
3) not many "plastic hoses" can handle that sort of pressure
4) Power source available?
5) what's at the start and end point?
6) delivery pressure?
7) can you have intermediate pumping stations?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi LittleInch, thanks for yours tips.

It is a hypothetically problem to solve
Water use: potable by human being.

Answer one by one
1) do you have a profile? This is critical to understand the optimum solution.
No at all, any mountain will have ups and down part, all above the original point, and bellow the destination point.
2) 1000 litres a day? Over 18 hours? That's a pitifully low volume and flow rate. Can't you just haul an IBC up the hill once a day?
No way to climb the hill.
3) not many "plastic hoses" can handle that sort of pressure
I have such plastic hose to resist up to 80 barg
4) Power source available?
Not to consider, to be suited as need.
5) what's at the start and end point?
Near a natural surgent water effluent, not river or pound.
6) delivery pressure?
the 300 Meter water column + the hose + fittings own flow resistance, maybe small parallel hose.
7) can you have intermediate pumping stations?
No way.
Thanks.

I did that many life-times back to supply water to a drill rig located on the top of a mountain.
Diesel driven piston pump and hydraulic hose, no need for fancy air relief or vacuum break etc as it's an airy-fairy time wasting exercise anyway (hypothetical)

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

OK.

What sort of hose are you thinking of?

I was thinking of PE pipe,but if you're talking small bore reinforced hose that's a different, but expensive story.

No need for anything other than a suitable sized pump and a hose good for the static pressure plus friction losses. If the end point is the highest point in the system then it makes life very easy.

Piston pump is likely to be the easiest to source but could be oversized in terms of the motor. Centrifugal would be cheaper, but you need to get the head discharge number correct to within 10%.

But won't be cheap.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

LittleInch, it is just a hypothetical case.

My main concern is, given the suited piston pump, and suited hose to resist the head pressure plus resistance pressure, the system will supply water to any problem.
As Artisi state, it can be do.
Thanks for all you support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back