Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to survive corporate politics 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickninevah

Marine/Ocean
May 8, 2014
I am a registered professional engineer with 5+ years experience. Recently took a new job, my first experience with a large corporation. I have always struggled with corporate politics, but this job is worse than any I've had before. I have four effective bosses. And the lead engineer on a project is someone with half the experience of me, no PE, and frequently makes decisions that I find very hard to respect.

Basically, my question is: how do you stand it? I know more than most of my coworkers, but I get no respect because I'm a new employee (4 months now). I feel like half my coworkers are more concerned with political maneuvering for more power in the company. I am a perfectionist. I can't stand people who are my superior, but who I view to be less competent than me. All I want to do is perform good engineering and ensure safety of life. And I feel like that conflicts with the corporate culture, which really wants me to be an obedient little robot and obey people that I have no respect for.

Here is an example. I sat in a very stressful meeting the other day. The client was very mad because we disagreed with the analysis of another engineering firm. This problem has gone on for weeks and could create major project delays. I feel confident that I could sit down with the other subcontractor and calmly solve the problem in a day. Instead, we sit in these meetings with lots of people arguing around a table. The client is yelling, asking for a solution. I know I can give them one. And I know that my company will not allow it. Because there are at least two people above me who want to be in control. It just killed me to know I could help our client and my company will not allow me to.

I know we all make jokes. But I really care about engineering. I am passionate about my work. And I absolutely hate my job. It causes extreme stress and makes me feel miserable. And I know it is not the company. I had similar feelings with every job, though none as extreme as this. So please, any advice. How do I tolerate this?

How do I care enough to provide quality engineering, but remain detached enough to let everyone else win their power games?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you are in a bad company. Lots of people who have complex's trying for control
Ideally you would have to go to each person and solve their issue, which might not even be engineering wise. A while back I listened to a podcast called either Career Tool or Management Tools which dealt with issues like you are facing and gave you some ideas to help solve them. If you have time to do some looking it might be worth wild to find it

Future PE Engineer
Pet project I am working on to help other engineers, not much yet hoping to get it grow as I learn more

Small companies aren't any better. Trust me.

My solution was start my own company! I don't have any employees and my boss is the best :D

Seriously though, that place sounds like it has some deeply-rooted issues. Time to move on (and talk with people who quit from any place that offers you a job!).

When I read, "I am a perfectionist. I can't stand people who are my superior, but who I view to be less competent than me." it worries me.
Is it you or is it them? Of course you're going to say "I know I'm right and that they're idiots." But maybe you should step back and see what got them in the superivising position. See what they bring (or brought) to the table.
It's easy to criticize a supervisor. But do you know what's directing them?

I can't stand people who are my superior, but who I view to be less competent than me.

the corporate culture, which really wants me to be an obedient little robot and obey people that I have no respect for.
you really need to adjust that attitude. Whether you realize it or not, people can read that in your tone of voice, body language or writing. That attitude will not serve you well in your career.

I know it is not the company. I had similar feelings with every job
I would do some serious self examination, you have this feeling every job you take. Sounds like a pattern to me.

instead of whining about it, find another company to work for. Make sure before you take the job to ask if your supervisor is more competent than you and worthy of your respect.

I would expect that everyone around you knows how you feel about them and about yourself. You surely won't be missed when you're gone.

We used to have a guy like that here, he made sure that everyone knew how special he was, and that he had no use for any of the managers, because he was so much smarter than they were. I later saw emails between his wife and him, talking about how the company didn't appreciate his talents, and didn't give him the respect and recognition he deserved.

One day I reminded him that the company existed before him, and we must do something right, because he WANTED to come to work there.

When he announced one day that he was leaving, the response was a resounding echo of silence. Nobody cared.

My only advice to you is to consider a career change.

If you have "four effective bosses" you are very lucky. Most people don't have any. Now if you "in effect, have four bosses", that could be a problem.

And being so good after just 5 years, just imagine how perfect you will be when you've gained REAL experience in 10 or 15 years. Please let me know when you start your own religion ... I will sell everything I own and follow you.

Seriously though, with that arrogant, egotistical attitude you will only be happy once you start your own company. Then you would only have to deal with all the stupid clients.

This wasn't a complaint or whine. This was an admission that I have a problem and an honest question for help on how to fix it. Thanks for the hazing. I appreciated the help.

I once had an employee with a superiority complex. She had been reassigned from another plant where she had a lot of authority and control as a one-(wo)man-show. She was smarter than everyone, worked harder than everyone, was more dedicated than everyone, saw the root cause of the problem before anyone else, was more frustrated than everyone, was less diplomatic than everyone....and was generally hated by everyone. I saw potential in this person, and I thought her talents could benefit the company. I endured a lot of her rantings and crying fits, lending an ear, and trying to counsel her on how to be a better worker. None of which worked.

I sat her down, declared a "Boss Free Zone", and had a heart-to-heart talk with her. After complimenting her work and dedication, I explained she was now part of a team and "must learn how to play well with the other kids in the sandbox". I made it clear that the other employees would fire her and kick her out of the sandbox, just that I would be the one with the unpleasant duty to make it official. She took the advice to heart, the next day went around and made personal apologies to all the other team members. She became a much better employee.

EVERY place has dysfunctional idiots running loose in it. That's Human Nature. Some places have more than others (it seems yours does). The ONLY person who can fix this problem is YOU, and it begins with YOU. Being a "perfectionist" in a team environment is actually a bad thing in my experience. Solving technical problems is simple compared to navigating human issues. If you are such a perfectionist, then you should work on improving that aspect of your personality. Once I had a miserable SOB as a co-worker/boss, and after complaining to an older friend, he responded by "So, how can you make him a BETTER boss?" Once I swallowed my self-destructive pride and started trying to be a better team player, then the adversarial bosses started trusting me more. It was then that I could offer my opinions on better solutions and they would listen.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

"Then you would only have to deal with all the stupid clients."

There is no such thing as a stupid client.

Repeated often enough, I find that to be at least therapeutic. It doesn't work all the time, though, which is when it Might Become Annoying.

I can't stand people who are my superior, but who I view to be less competent than me."

That line reminds me of the time I was in navy. I had this conflict with authority figures, until I dealt with it later in life. Might want to look at the problem that is yours and then dealing with people that are your boss will go a lot easier.

Being perfect is not engineering. Seems engineering is a big compromise where its a balance with function and safety. I remember a few people who strove to be perfect, they usually never got their work done.

"Basically, my question is: how do you stand it?"

The cure : Do nothing and continue despite all things that hit you.
Keep going forward. That means deliver what you are expected to deliver in terms of work whatever are the adverse conditions.

Hard work and patience will pay. If you are treated badly by few and it hurts your pride that is a blessing. I personally found it an amazing source of energy to be even more determined in your actions. Don't give up, fight day after day. Gain the fight day by day.

With your PE and background am sure that in a few years from now you will find it was worth the efforts.

Someone said : "you have a dream you got to protect it." that's exactly what you have to do.

Good luck.

This wasn't a complaint or whine. This was an admission that I have a problem and an honest question for help on how to fix it. Thanks for the hazing. I appreciated the help.

If the above statement is true, then I suggest taking a communications course, it's likely that your communications with your co-workers are equally as misleading as your post here. Your post came across as a whiny rant, with a tiny question tossed in at the end. If your intent was indeed to get serious advice, it surely did not come across that way.

Honestly, folks, I'm kind of embarrassed by the responses on here lately. Let's take a deep breath and quit jumping to the conclusion that everyone asking for advice is whiny or snotty or whatever. We get so ridiculously high-horse on this site! Folks don't post for help if everything is going well, they post when they're fed up and need help! Let's all focus instead on giving HELPFUL advice instead of just "wow, you're an idiot" or "you have an attitude problem". There are ways to say things that don't attack people. Find them.

thread731-179040 May or may not be of assistance.

SLTA, the communal pile on based on whatever the consensus of the first few posters was is a time honored tradition on this site.;-)

Honestly based on the OP there's not enough to be sure either way - last line of the OP suggests they at least want to see what they can do to help the situation so I'll give them benefit of the doubt.

Then again, being pretty wound up with the situation here I'm all to quick to accept their management & certain colleagues may be a bunch of ...

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back