Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to talk to someone when looking for a job 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadInColo

Mechanical
May 13, 2003
US
I imagine some of you have seen my other posts and know my situation, but short of it is that I am looking for a job. I am in the aerospace/mechanical field with management experience. I would like to get in for interviews with the local divisions of some of the big companies (Raytheon, Lockheed...) and know that my best approach is to talk to someone capable of getting my resume to the actual hiring manager, not just the HR people.

My question is how do I do that? Both the companies I mentioned (and others as well) have an internet only application process, when I call about a job to the HR people locally, they refer me to the web site. Any tips on how to talk to the engineering managers who are hiring? How do I get past the "If you've filled out the internet application we have your resume on file and will review it" philosophy? By the way, the local facilites of these companies are controlled access, without an appointment I won't get in the gate, can't get an appointment without knowing who to contact.

As always, thanks for any tips.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you don't know anyone on the inside, or know anyone that knows anyone on the inside you might be out of luck. This is why professional networking can be important.

You could always attempt to cold-call the Engineering department (we all know that somehow phone solicitors get through from time to time) and talk to someone that way. It would prove to be bad form, and would probably get you the same net result- see our site/call HR. But you can never tell.

"But what... is it good for?"
Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

A lot of these companies also have standardized hiring procedures along with ethics rules that make this approach even more difficult. On the other hand, it's not unheard of for employees to get bonuses for recommending people - but that pre-supposes you know someone on the inside.

Don't under-estimate sites like monster.com. Also, professional "head-hunters" can help as well.

Find out which of the "job Shops" or temporary agencies supply people on a contract or temporary basis to the companies and try them. All the big companies use them. Once your in, you can network, if your good they may offer you a permenant position ( if there is such a thing).
Lots of managers like to hire people by using them as temps first, there's little risk to them. If you don't work out it's easy to get rid of you.

Good suggestions so far. I have found that networking at events where the company is displaying their wares can also be a good "in". If you find an industry expo that requires a membership to a certain society (SAE, ASME, etc.) that can be even better as whomever you talk to will know that you are active in the society. They may not be able to talk about job opportunities at the time, but you may get a business card and a "call me on Monday." Just an idea...

My suggestion is to get in touch with your faculty from where you got your degree. I am sure most professors are well networked inorder to get research funding. That approach worked for me...but if its been too long since you graduated, I dont know how well that'll work...
Another suggestion is to check and see if your college alumni has a website...if they do, you can get in touch with them and see how it works....DONT GIVE UP!!
Good luck anyways!

Are you attending ASME section meetings in the area where you want to work? How about the AIAA chapters? The best place to meet people on the inside is to go where they come together. As mentioned before, try to get on through a contract or temp company, then you have a chance to show what you've got.

At many companies, managers are not allowed to consider resumes sent directly to them, it has to go through HR. But if they know you from somewhere else like ASME, when the resume comes through HR it will be more likely to be considered.

Talk to vendors and service providers. Component suppliers, the local CAD reps, machine shops and fabricators. Find that people that do buisnes with the companies that you want to work for. They will have the names you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back