Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to the force needed for displacement applied using d command?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anderthe

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2006
US
I have a complete model that works in ANSYS, but I don't know how to have ANSYS tell me what force is required to displace my surface.

A little background: I have a constrained model that has one surface being displaced. What I did is I selected the area using asel,s,,,21,,,1. After the area was selected, I used the d command to displace that area by -0.5; d,all,uz,-0.5. So now what I want to do is find out what force was needed to displace my model in the z direction by -0.5.

Is there a command or menu item in postproc that is capable of doing this?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Ted

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can find the force required for the displacement applied by plotting (use PRRSOL) reaction forces in the nodal solution. Later you can apply these forces insted of displacements.

NodalDOF

NodalDOF,

Thanks. I tried using PRRSOL with FZ and I got some number that don't seem right. The reason I say this is because I get some positive force values, and some negative forces values. And not a single nodal force is the same as any of the others.

Any suggestions in where I am going wrong?

Ted

Here what u need to do.

1. Get the model in ansys.
2. Apply whatever dicplacement u want to.
3. Solve it.
4. goto Postprocessor.
5. get the element forces.

hope it helps.

Either follow Hstructs method OR do this...

I think the mistake is in selection of nodes on which you are applying displacements. You cannot apply displacement on a area. You need to select the nodes on that area. somethin like this.

asel,,,,21
nsla ! Select nodes associated with that area
D,all,uz,-0.5.

After solving this, try to look at the reaction forces only on the nodes on which you are applying displacements.

When you use PRRSOL it lists all the nodes including constrained nodes for reaction forces.

hope this helps.

nodal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back