Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to Translate School Experience Onto a Resume

Status
Not open for further replies.

ME82

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2005
US
HI everyone, my name is Luis and recently i have been job hunting,and to my luck i came across a position for an autocad designer position for a refinery company and the requirements are that you have a basic understanding of autocad and also that if you do have knowledge in the refinery industry then that is a plus.

So heres my problem: I know some basics of autocad 2006, but i do not have any real experience out in the field, as i obtained it through school-training. So my question to you guys is, how do i translate what i know in autocad onto the resume so that I get my point across which is: I strongly feel that i have the understanding of the basics of autocad to qualify for the position that is being offered

P.s do i say things like i know how to draw 2d drawings and i also know how to create fillets

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just would only summarize as N hours of AutoCAD.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Have you completed any "hands on" design projects in school using A-CAD? For example, SAE has a number of student design competitions. I participated in Mini Baja and Formula SAE. Also ASME has the human powered vehicle. These types of competitions are really close to real world projects. How about your senior project? I guess I'm assumming you are enrolled in a four year engineering program?

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

I would just say what you can do, how long you have been doing it, and instead of employer, put down school/tech.

Some people differentiate between experiences gained in school, versus in industry. I know I do. There are many differences between the way we draft here, versus school, a different company, a different industry, a different geographical location, you get the idea.

Regardless, your posting seems to indicate that you have relatively little experience. Whether what you have was gained in school or another shop means little to me - if I was hiring. It wouldn't make a difference to me in your case because you will have to be brain washed into doing things our way here.

Good Luck with the job hunt.

Heckler: I was enrolled in a 4yr university although i dropped out because of money reasons, and im not very confident about getting myself involved in loans right now. Although, i did earned an a.s in Manufacturing Tech. Yet the school i earned it through, did not teach autocad at all. Although, Prior to finishing my a.s i took a basic class of autocad, but i strongly felt that it did not help at all because it only thought the fundamentals of drawing, and we were not exposed to any projects.

I'm not surprised by that ME82, in my experience software package based learning at university is just a cheap and easy time filler for the lecturers, it is of little real world value.

I'd include FEA and MBD in that list, maybe not Matlab and so on.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I'd summarize the AutoCAD classes you have taken, and leave it at that.

The problem is, you have no idea what degree of experience they expect. I've learned with AutoCAD that even after you pick up the basics, you still keep learning. On the other hand, they may be looking for someone with exactly your degree of skill.

We've seen previous posts on here about companies that required everything to be in a single layer, in model space, other posts about adhering to CAD standards (which I didn't know existed), so you'd be hard put to anticipate their needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back