Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to use a Thermistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC72CHF

Mechanical
Apr 8, 2008
US
Hey can some one give me a quick run down on how to use a thermistor. After some googling, I see that it is common to use the Stienhart-Hart equation. Unfortunately this does not seem to coincide with the info I have. The manufacturer states that the thermistor has a resistivity of 100ohm at 25C and a thermal coefficient of resistance of 2200ppm/C. It is supposed to be linear, but I cant crunch the numbers to match a provided graph.

Someone please fill in the blanks here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thermistors themselves are non-linear in both the NTC and PTC types. You might have a conditioned and amplified version to provide a linear output, which won't follow the rules you see on say... wikipedia:

The 'ln' thingies tend to indicate non-linear.

If you need more information, try the Electrical/Electronic Engineering forum, they will be more useful i'm sure if you post the exact manufacturer and model of the device you have.

As usual, the lack of information is hampering the ability of people to help you. What is the part number, the manufacturer, etc? Is here other data that you can upload so that people can actually help you?

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back