Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use a total station? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sempronio1960

Electrical
Mar 30, 2011
IT
Sorry for the sacrilegious question, out of curiosity I would at least understand how such an instrument. I've had a rough idea of the rudiments of the theory (put up the instrument, collimate, etc..). I also have a Trimble 5600 of about ten years, without at least one couple of years and I tried to make measurements canonical (after putting the station etc..) pointing the prism supplied shown in these photos:

Obviously made ​​the putting into the station and the instrument arranged, can measure as long as the prism is at a maximum of 6 meters from the instrument (the distance measurements that correspond with those read on the instrument verified on the ground with a tape), after which for greater distances the instrument remains in scanning without concluding any measure. You want to enlighten me? Excuse for my poor English, from Lexicool. Greetings from Italy.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What exactly is your question?

Your posting seems to contain at least one factual error. Where are you getting: "can measure as long as the prism is at a maximum of 6 meters from the instrument?"

The Great Trigonometric Survey ( of India in 1856 measured the height of Mt. Everest to within 10 m of current measurement ( from well more than 6 m.

Have you read the Wikipedia entries:

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

>What exactly is your question?
Excuse for my poor English.
"My" Total Station is a TRimble 5600, DR200+. I cannot measure with it distances greather than 6-7 m. The instrument has not been used for two years. It ma be depend from backup battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back