Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use Hi set function of protection relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

singpower

Electrical
Feb 8, 2006
SG
Hi
I know that all of numerical relay have hi set function and I don't know how to use it.
I mean, under what condition it is used and how to select the right setting.

Or any web page, literature that I can look at it? I googled its use in the web and no satisfactory result.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

High set is a function found on some thermal (IDMT) relays or LV breakers and is typically used to provide an instantaneous trip function when a threshold current is exceeded. It reduces the reach of the thermal overcurrent curve at very high currents.

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

On the relay I have been seeing, they have a hi set different from instateneous and it can be timed.
What we normally do is to provide the IDMT with a higher time than the hi set and a lower current setting. As such the time of relay operation will be graded according to the level of the fault.

Thanks khadisa,

I should have said that the hi-set function can have a definite minimum time, whereas the true instantaneous setting is just that - instantaneous.

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

Use or non-use of the hi-set or instantaneous function depends on the application. There isn't really a one size fits all answer.

BTW, the term "hi-set" has never really been used in the US. We just call it "instantaneous" and if we add a time delay to it, we just live with that inconsistency or call it a "definite-time" function.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back