How to Use Softener Regeneration Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAIZANYOUSUF

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2016
US
Hello Experts,

I want to know can I use softener resin based regenerated water in some other application to save it from complete disposal?

I work in edible oil refinery?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It will depend on what you want to do with it, and what treatment you are doing with your softeners.

A standard softener using salt for regeneration typically removes hardness from the water , so you would expect that the regen stream will be high in calcium and magensium but will also be high in sodium, and chloride and possibly some other minor minerals. Your options will be limited to something that will be very salt tolerant.

If your "softeners" are doing some other process than the options will change but may well still be limited.

A potential option if you have multiple units is to use the regen stream as the base for regenerating next unit. Given that usually not all the salt is used regenerating a unit the waste stream from one, perhaps with some chemical top up may be able to be used to regen the next unit and so on.

If you are really considering doing anything with the waste stream you really need to get a comprehensive water analysis done on the waste stream to help with making that decision.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Fresh brine is a 26% nacl solution. There is no feasible way to reuse this brine solution as you would have to separate salts from water.

If you don't need a zero hardness effluent, consider blending some of the raw water to extend the regeneration cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back