Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to verify ASME SCL calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxAg78

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2011
US
I am working on a general stress linearization routine that works with results from multiple FEA codes. As part of this work, I'd like to verify the accuracy of the calculations using industry standard benchmarks. Are there example problems I can run to demonstrate the linearized values I calculate are "accurate" (in the sense that I get the documented answer)? If so, where can I get them?

I understand & appreciate the difference between the SCL calculations and their subsequent classification as primary or secondary stresses. Initially I'm focused on the linearization, and don't intend to define as primary or secondary (that will be the engineer's responsibility).

A little background: I worked as a consultant on B/PV analyses back in the "good old days" (before these calculations were available in commercial FEA codes). We had an in-house program to do the linearization. I wrote tons of stress reports based on Sec VIII, Div 2 (when reference to linearization was a footnote), and recall many design debates regarding self-limiting stresses.

As an aside, I just recently found this forum, and wonder "where have you been all of my life? :) Lots of good engineering discussions in here!! Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Welcome to eng-tips. Enjoy.

WRC 429 should get you most of the way - there are some good examples. PTB-1 and PTB-3 will also help.

Does your routine require input from the FE Codes in the hoop, meridional, and through-thickness directions, or is it general, and you will transform into those directions?

Thanks for the info. I have WRC 429, but haven't invested in PTB-1 or PTB-3 yet. Follow-up question - I don't have 2007 Sec VIII, Div 2, so haven't read Annex 5. Should I? If so, is there a way to get it without purchasing the whole volume (kind of expensive). THANKS!

The routine is generic, in that the there are no hard coded assumptions. The user has two options:
1) General section: simply linearizes each component (without transforming or considering axisymmetric sections)
2) Axisymmetric section: which transforms FEA stresses to the SCL (thru-thickness along the SCL, meridional normal to the SCL, hoop isn't transformed). The routine also accounts for the different axisymmetric coordinate systems used by the "major" FEA codes: Ansys & Abaqus (XY), Nastran (XZ), & Marc (YX), plus a "user-defined" option for those that don't match above.

Several report formats are provided:
1) SCL summary table with linearized components and invariants for membrane, bending, and membrane + bending.
2) XY Plot (3 curves for each component: FEA stresses, membrane, membrane + bending)
3) CSV file with XY plot data used for curves in #2 (for reports and/or plotting in another appplication)

As noted in the original post, I don't attempt to classify as primary or secondary, but leave that to the engineer's experience and judgement.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back