Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to verify HPIB communication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greif1

Industrial
Mar 28, 2007
US
I have hooked up (for the first time, novice here!) a HP3457a DMM to a 82350 PCI GPIB/HPIB card (running in an old PC with win98) and have loaded Agilent IO Librabry 14.0.
-The HP3457a is only recognized as a device at address 22, but no equipment ID.
-The card is recognized, and I can send commands such as DISP 2, tester to the DMM ( manually via Interactive IO) and see that they work.
-Problem: When I try to do any read (via Interactive IO; send and read or read button) I get back an error message; VI_error_TM0: A timeout occurred and VISA error code 0XBFFF0015 (-1073807339). When sending some commands it does appear that the numerals of the voltage that was currently displayed are being returned.
- I am thinking that I have something configured wrong for listening. The 3457 seems to have substantially different commands than current instruments.
I would like to verify that the hpib is talking and listening properly before I install more equipment, how can I verify that the DMM is actually sending out data and it is being received?

Note: I am stuck with using the 3457 because I have to create a BDAT file using HPBASIC (or maybe another way?), and the commands seem to be specific to only a few model DMMs. I am running win 98 because I think it will get along better if I end up using the DOS version of basics. I am waiting for a reply from the HTBASIC folks.
gr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I started out with a NI card, but then found out (in docs) that some of the commands I need require an HP card. I got partially installed on the NI card and seemed to have a similar problem.
gr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back