Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to work with old lath where the wood is essentially gone (termites

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermione

Civil/Environmental
Dec 2, 2003
US
I have an old house, withlap siding. Built 175 years ago. Supposedly. We have taken off siding, to repair and renovate, on the SW corner of the house. Woe is me. The structural 2X4's are eaten up. The plaster and lath looked ok, but the lath in many places is simply gone, or like tissue paper. The only thing holding the plaster in place is the plaster itself -- the interior rougher laster which is worked into the lath is still in place, and the plaster in my living room still looks intact.
We intend to replace the structural 2x4's with new wood, using liquid nail glue, and of course ordinary contruction techniques. We then thought we could take metal lath and place it into the gaps, between the 2x4's, and next to the old lath/plaster. We then would use some product, a slurry of some sort, to cement the old lath/plaster to the new lath/plaster. Does this sound do-able? Are we going the right direction?
If we cannot make this work, my house will be rebuilt from scratch, not what I want. But I must have a structure with integrity, which will last another 175 years.
What to do?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you convinced the damage is global, not localized?

As to preserving the plaster, I wouldn't try. Bite the bullet and remove all furnishings from the room in question and remove the plaster. The hardest part is paying for the dumpster and cleaning up all traces of the dust.

Replace the damaged studs (can't be that many, otherwise you would see major structural damage).

While you are at it, install electrical, data and plumbing lines to your heart's content. Insulate as desired.

I really doubt your house needs to be 'rebuilt from scratch'. Even if it's a balloon-frame building that has the studs running from basement to attic, there should be a local framer smart enough to replace balloon framing with the contemporary framing style.

Thanks for you post.
The easy and fast way is to Demo the plaster and install wall board. The major question is how wide spread is the problem. If it is just in the area of the corner, the plaster may be worth saving if it is a small part of a room which is in otherwise good condition or has some type of trim you are trying to preserve. The plaster dust and possible lead paint dust is going to be a problem if the house is occupied during the demolition. So you may want to take that factor under consideration.

I own a 120 year old victorian house, and I bought it because I loved it's old charm and trying to keep and restore as much as I can. So, I tend to be on the side of preservation.

I liked your proposed plan to save the plaster. It sounds well thought out. I was thinking along the same path while I read you post. It is worth a try.

You can try it. If it is too difficult ot the plaster begins to crack and fail, you can always Demolish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back