Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to write WPS for welding 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrEngr2021

Structural
Jun 16, 2021
US
Any tips/resources for developing WPS?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

American Welding Society AWS B2.1 Specification for Welding Procedure and Performance Qualification.

Regards

I'd say that depends a whole lot on where you're at already.
Several years back, I took a week-long course on becoming a CWI (even passed the test, too). While it's not geared towards developing WPS, it helps on some of the concepts involved.
I think they have some seminars on "basic welding", for that matter.
There are pre-qualified welding procedures, which, if they fit your needs, would likely be the way to go, and save some hassle down the line.
You definitely need input from the people doing the work, to see what equipment and skills they have available, what is the most efficient, etc.
Before testing anything, it helps to figure out what range of thicknesses, temperatures, etc., you need to cover and then make your tests up to cover those ranges in the most expeditious manner.
The manufacturers of consumables may be able to help considerably in figuring out ahead of time which materials, methods, temperatures will work the best for what you're doing.

ISO 15609.
The welding engineer's handbook (AWS)
The procedure handbook of welding (Blodgett, Lincoln)
Google has plenty.
Your local welding machine supplier has without a doubt a package with all kinds of WPS'sen to be used in combination with a specific machine.
Most welding wire (or even shielding gas) suppliers have those.
The new Kemppi's I have seen have an elaborate menu, where you can choose base material, thickness, position, ... and it gives you the settings for each layer, what shielding gas to use + cfh and even mentions the ideal travel speed.

In fact, I find it hard to not stumble upon a WPS when walking near any welding related place.
I didn't say I agree with all of them, but they are for sure a place to start when developing "new" WPS'ses...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back