Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How we can incorporate loading into the desired thickness of shell while designing pressure vessel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

do you mean "how to apply load to a pressure vessel ?" ... internal pressure !?
I assume you are doing an FEA ... what code ? have you read the manuals, done the tutorials ?

Or are you doing a hand calc ?

Do you have a building code to meet ?

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

are you making a calculator using Excel, Programming, etc?
Why not refer to the textbook as beginner? There are formulas for it.
Then you can refer to international code for cross reference.

R.Efendy

If your particular interest is the stress distribution through a thick plate, I recommend Timoshenko "Plates and Shells" ... no one does math like a Russian !

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Thank you very much for your responses. Actually I am a novice and have just started to make a software as a part of my training for based on ASME.

I was thinking how is the additional loadings defined in UG-22 are incorporated in the thickness calculated in UG-27 and what exactly the below statement means.

UG-22 of the ASME BPVC Section VIII, Division 1, outlines various additional loadings that must be considered when designing pressure vessels. These include, but are not limited to:

Weight of the vessel and its contents
Wind and seismic forces
Reaction forces from supports and attachments
External pressure (e.g., vacuum conditions)
Thermal effects and stresses from temperature gradients

UG-27, on the other hand, provides the method for calculating the minimum thickness required for cylindrical and spherical shells under internal pressure. The standard calculation for thickness in UG-27 primarily focuses on internal pressure, but additional loadings from UG-22 must be taken into account to ensure that the vessel can withstand all possible stresses.

How UG-22 Loadings Are Incorporated in UG-27:
Combined Stress Analysis: When calculating the required thickness under UG-27, the additional stresses from UG-22 must be superimposed on the stresses calculated from internal pressure. This is often done using a combined stress analysis, where the stresses due to internal pressure are combined with those due to the additional loadings (e.g., axial loads, bending moments, and external pressure).

Modified Allowable Stress: The allowable stress used in the thickness calculation might be adjusted to account for these additional loadings. For example, if there are significant additional loads, the material's allowable stress might be reduced to ensure a conservative design.

Additional Thickness Requirement: In some cases, the presence of these additional loadings might require an increase in the calculated thickness beyond what is determined by internal pressure alone. This ensures that the vessel has sufficient strength to handle the combined effects of internal pressure and other forces.

R.Efendy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back