Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 48/49 and COGO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDK

Civil/Environmental
Jul 19, 2001
PH
I’m thinking about buying a basic COGO package to use with a HP calculator.

I see that there are a lot on the Internet for the HP 48G series. However this calculator is discontinued and the HP 49’s are out. I don't have a HP48.

Will a GOGO program written for a HP48 work in a HP49? Will I need an emulation program to mimic the HP48 operating system in a HP49?

Are there any COGO packages available for a HP49?

I have a Sokkia Set 5B total station. (I know a little old but it’s all I need.) Are there interface cards available for between the total station and the HP49? Will a HP48 cable work?

If I use a HP49 are there environmental cases for the calculator?

Any advise and guidance in this area will be appreciated.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

G'day Rick,

Quickest way to an answer is to ring your local Sokkia rep and ask for what you require. I know some sales reps can be a pain but at least if you go ahead and purchase cables and the like and they don't work you can go back to them.

I know when I was using a Sokkia set 5 a few years ago it would interface with the HP48 and I would imagine that Sokkia would keep a certain level of compatibility about their gear to include updates for HP connectivity.

Good luck

sc

Talk to T.D.S in Corvalis Oregon, they used to use the H.P. 48 as a base for a data collector system.

You might want to check out a company called Dzign. The used to offer a series of programs for the HP 49. I do not know if it is capable of interfacing with a total station or not as it requires a different cable to upload or download. Most manual entry programs should work that are written for the HP48 but it is a trial by fire thing.

Kinda got into this one a little late. Right now there is no plans what so ever to enable the 49 to act as a data collector. If you go to rpls.com (POB magazine) you will see that there are a few people in the process of writing their own data collecting program. The big deal no is going towards the Ranger and the Recon. You might look on E-bay or other clearing house type of affairs to find a used one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back