Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HPPE Connection to HDPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavis1968

Materials
Sep 18, 2006
US
Hi everybody,

I wonder if somebody help me to find out: "Is it possible to connect the 12" PN 16 HDPE PE pipe to 12" HPPE PE 100 pipe?"
Is it safe? Which consideration shall be seen in advance?
The HDPE pipe is exsiting and HPPE will be new lines.
As I know connection between various type of PolyEthelene is very difficult and unreliable?
I will appriciated from your ideas.
Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dicksewerrat,

thanks from your reply,
For your information: The HDPE is existing line and it is old spec and we don't know which type of HDPE is that. HPPE is our project PE pipe spec.
We don't have any flange in tie-in point for existing line.
So we have to connect these two pipes by joint for example butt fusion weld. My question is that how we can ensure this connection will be OK. Also for this new material (HPPE) during purchasing which property shall be considered.

Regards,

Not claiming to be an expert in this specific connection, but since you are dealing with some existing pipe I have also heard if/when there has been e.g. hydrocarbon contamination of the soil around such pipe (along with concerns of "permeation", if the service is potable water) this can cause a problem with any subsequent connection, extension, or repair operations on that pipeline that depend on fusing/welding on that pipe end. This would appear where contamination is possible to be a potential hazard of initial material choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back