Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HPRT No Load Performance Curve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCNY

Chemical
Dec 20, 2012
US

Is there a way to estimate the performance curve ( GPM vs. Head) of a pump used as hydraulic Power Recovery Turbine under no load condition starting from normal operating GPM vs. Head Curve?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

About four years ago a paper was presented at the Pump Users Symposium in Houston that you may want to read. It was based on the use of pump as hydraulic turbine to drive generators. It offers a method to estimate turbine performance based on the characteristics of the pump. I am away from my office and unable to provide a detailed reference.

Johnny Pellin

The paper was titled "Numerical Simulation on a Pump Operating in a Turbine Mode". It was presented in 2007. The authors were Sonia Rawal and J. T. Kshirsagar. I looked at the paper and I believe it would address your question. If you do not have access to the proceedings of this symposium, you can purchase copies from Texas A&M Turbomachinery Laboratory.

Johnny Pellin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back