HSS beam to W-shape column web connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1j2j3

Structural
Jan 10, 2024
US
Hi everyone,

Long time looker, first time poster. How to analysis steel H-frame beam connection? I have a HSS beam with end plate bolted into wide flange web, and I wonder how should I analyze/design it as a full moment connection. I vaguely remember flange connection is full moment, and you could only make wide flange column full moment one way.
Should I run the web as a plate?
Could I add stiffener/continuity plate on the other side of the beam and make if full moment?
If so, how do I check stiffener?
What AISC code and design guide I should read?
I went through 360 and 341, but I have only seen connection to the column flange. I think it's possible to calculate HSS beam end plate by following steps from Steel Design Guide 4 and remove inner bolts.
Also, where should I add triangle stiffener on the beam end? In the middle like wide flange connections or on the edge along the HSS "wall"?

Thank you

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8217b5ce-ff2a-46d7-9fa6-8a5d5b1bf7c8&file=Capture.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Should I run the web as a plate? If you mean in your analysis, yes. But if you add stiffeners on the other side, you can probably ignore it.
Could I add stiffener/continuity plate on the other side of the beam and make if full moment? Absolutely.
If so, how do I check stiffener? Resolve the full moment capacity of the HSS as a couple and place the forces on those plates.
What AISC code and design guide I should read? That one I don't know.
I went through 360 and 341, but I have only seen connection to the column flange. I think it's possible to calculate HSS beam end plate by following steps from Steel Design Guide 4 and remove inner bolts. Not familiar with that.
Also, where should I add triangle stiffener on the beam end? In the middle like wide flange connections or on the edge along the HSS "wall"?
Not familiar with that.

Rather than add the gusset plates, it generally less costly to increase the thickness of the end plate. Analysing gusset plates can be a chore by itself.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Not to laugh, hokie... I had one project to design connections for where the beam connection moment exceeded the capacity of the HSS column it was connected to...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

The easiest way , assuming pin connection for corner columns. You may develop rigid connection with providing stiffeners . The question would be ; does it worth? When you compare the stiffness of beam strong axis to the column weak axis ,you will see that ,most probably the beam will not experience significant end moment. Model your system with rigid connection , then assign pin connection to the subject joint and see the difference.
The following excerpt from Eurocode , Connection design;

MINOR_AXIS_CONNECTION_vni4c8.jpg

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back