Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HSS cantilever beam connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitch22

Structural
Jun 14, 2012
CA
Hello fellow engineers,

I'm trying to design a bolted moment connection between a W-shape column and an HSS cantilever beam. The HSS beam would be connected to the flange of the W-shape. While looking at some books I noticed the HSS was always a column and never a beam. Does anybody know if there's a structural reason not to use an HSS cantilever beam connected to a W-shape column?

Also, does anybody know how to check column flange for distortion due to bolts pulling on the flange?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no reason to avoid HSS as beams other than ineffciency. It just isn't what SHS, RHS, CHS, etc, do best... Okay, maybe that statement is a little strong for the RHS, but I digress.

As for your connection, I assume the HSS is fastened to the face as the column is continuous beyond, right? Otherwise you'd just end plate the W section and fasten to that.

Right, so if we have a continuous condition for a HSS accross the face of the column, we've got a mess. How do we ensure good restraint for the column (ie: what's going to help us keep the critical design length down), and how do we ensure a solid connection for the HSS?

I suggest the following: Use two bolts through the centre of the HSS, one through each side of the column's flange. Check the HSS for crushing loads against the snug tight condition of the bolts, and put in flanking stiffeners to the column.

Is the HSS perpendicular to the flange or across it? either way, I would weld it to a plate and bolt the plate to the column

Michael.
"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ~ Tim Minchin

Yep, end plate connection. Bolts above and below the HSS. HSS sections make good beams. They are more stable than open sections, usually higher yield stress, and there is no comparison when it comes to torsion.

Hitch66
"Also, does anybody know how to check column flange for distortion due to bolts pulling on the flange"

Refer to:
1- hanger connection in the AISC manual
2-"A Yield Line Component Method for Bolted Flange Connections" paper from the AISC journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back