Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HSS Rectangular Section in Stainless 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelbeam

Structural
Oct 1, 2010
US
I am looking into the availability of 14 x 4 x 1/2 sections in stainless steel for the purpose of corrosion resistance, since these members will be spanning above open tanks of
water in a treatment plant. Another possibility could be a weathering steel sections but again I don't know if this is available. I would like to hear from anyone that has knowledge of
these steel sections. I have an inquiry into AISC but have not gotten a response back yet. Thanks for any help or advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've had fabrication shops brake (fold) 3/8" stainless steel into 12" deep by 3" wide channels. These were then bolted back to back to span a reservoir. Your length is limited by the brake so you will have to splice these.

Anything's possible at a price. But, for example, you could weld up a tube like that out of flat bar stock. Whether that's the economical way to build something is a different issue. You might try contacting some of the suppliers or contractors in your area that deal with the type of work in question.

Any reason round pipe wouldn't work? It's available in all kinds of alloys if you can afford it.

Also- I was thinking the weathering steels worked great where they stayed dry- not so much where they may not stay dry. So check around on the corrosion aspects there. Galvanized steel or aluminum would be other options.

Today there are a number of people out there laser welding SS structural shapes from pieces of plate.
They have great dimensional control and properties. If these are in a location where maintenance will be extremely difficult then SS may be a cost effective option.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I doubt you'll get a very targeted response from AISC, as they do not deal with stainless steel. They will probably defer to SSINA (Specialty Steel Industry of North America).

Thaidavid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back