Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HSS wall plastification

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacGruber22

Structural
Jan 30, 2014
US
Proposition: welding 1/2" dia. threaded studs to exterior side (centered on wide face) of 6"x2"x1/4" rectangular HSS for some connections.

Question: Are the traditional HSS T-section wall plastification equations of section K2 appropriate to use here?

Something tells me that one or both of these checks may be unconservative for such a relatively small diameter branch "member" (1/2" dia stud)
From Eq. K2-3 phiPn = 4.70 kips
From Eq. K2-4 phiPn = 10.3 kips

"It is imperative Cunth doesn't get his hands on those codes."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure if the AISC equations would be conservative or unconservative but I think that there may be a simpler way to go about this. I believe that AWS limits plate thickness to stud diameter divided by 2.5. I have always assumed that to take care of localized plate plastification and punching shear-esque issues. That's only plate related check for studs on composite beams I think.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

After giving it some more thought, I agree that the minimum plate thickness for studs would take care of the punching shear and weld burn-through. But, a one-way plate with an out-of-plane point load couldn't have an indefinite span length (6" in my case). I guess looking in Roark's formulas for plate would be a way to look at it.

MacGruber said:
But, a one-way plate with an out-of-plane point load couldn't have an indefinite span length (6" in my case).

Quite right. For plate bending checks, I would go with yield line analysis or Roark's as you mentioned.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Thanks, KootK

Initially, I figured I could cover the plate flexural yielding by using the "chord plastification" limit state checked by the first equation.

Is there a strict difference between the terms "yielding" and "plastification"? It just seems like yielding for tube connections.

Perhaps a subtle difference. One might take yielding to mean first yielding and plastification to mean complete mechanism formation as in the yield line method. But yeah, generally the same thing.

You hit it right on the head - "Plastification. In an HSS connection, limit state based on an out-of-plane flexural yield line mechanism in the chord at a branch member connection."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back