Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Huge file size 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter72

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2006
US
Hi all,

Hi all,

I have model with several liner patterns and two body mirror features ( I modeled a quarter and mirrored it). My file size become around 90 Mb and Solidworks perform really slow.
Does any body know good tricks to reduce file size to speed up Solidworks?
What is the best way to reduce file size for e-mail?

Solidworks 2010 SP
Windows 7 Professional 64-bits
Dell Precision T3500
Video NVIDIA FX4800
Processor 3.33 GHZ
RAM 12GB

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do a 'save as' and save the model over itself. That will help shrink the file size a bit.
If the linear patterns are for appearance only, suppress them when not needed.
If we could see what it is you've created, we might be able to offer suggestions on different ways to create the model that would keep the file size down.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

Linear patterns and configurations can balloon file sizes.

Try to create the patterns and mirrors on the sketch level and not seperate features. See if that helps. If it's a visual thing, you can use textures in a simplified configuration. Resolved only when necessary.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

What we used to do for email was create a feature that enveloped the entire part at the end of the tree called "SupressThisFeature". For some reason that shrank the file, I think because a lot of graphics and surface display data went away.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 2.1
HP Pavillion Elite HPE

Cool tip CBL!

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2010 SP 3.1
Dell 490 XP Pro SP 2
Xeon CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro FX 3450 512 MB
3D Connexion-SpaceExplorer

Other options are to Make geometry that covers the entire solid so you don't have small surfaces and complex geometry. This can be placed in a Delte or Suppress me folder. The Rollback state is a great option but it requires a full regen to resume features.

For your pattern features always try to check the geometry pattern option because it's a lot simpler to regen. For geometry patterns you need to be sure that none of the features go off the geometry and when all features exist all faces are closed off with no openings. Since all pattern instance members are identical SolidWorks doesn't need to regen each one with criteria such as Upto Next or Offset from surface.

Another pattern type is face pattern. If you have a hole with chamfer on it you'd select the hole face and chamfer face and pattern those instead of the feature. As long as these faces fully patch the surrounding geometry the pattern will work. It just requires more inputs up front.

Michael

I've had success 'zipping' files or *.rar-ing them. - for e-mail purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back