Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HVAC acoustic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

remp

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2003
US
I have a discharge plenum box form a large air handling unit lined with 50mm rockwool protected with a material sheet called Cleantec to stop the rockwool shedding (used in attenuators for clean room applications). I'd like to cover all this with perforated metal for mechanical protection since the plenum box is accessable via access doorway. Will I loose much of the acoustic performace of the insulation if I do this?. What should the spec on the perf-metal be?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you use perf with a minimum free area of about 25% the the degradation of the acoustic performance will be negligible. However, film lining when behind perf can substantially degrade the performance of the insulation. Many silencers include a layer of spacing to ensure the film is kept loose and held off of the perf.

I couldn't find anything on Cleantec so I am assuming it is comparable to Mylar or Tedlar

Regards,
Pat

I am searching company that have acoustical noise transfer grills (the grill should be installed in Gyproc wall) and the insolation cretiria should be IVa between the room and the corridor that the wall seperating.
I have checked the grill made by Halton and he is not sefficent.
other options?
alternative solutiones?

kind regards
Eyal Refaely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back